Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Valentine's Day past 4

And the final memories of Valentine's Day 17 years ago …

It warmed my heart and made me chuckle as my husband and I walked behind them when we later left the ice cream shop. They held hands as we walked in the darkness illuminated by the streetlights and moonlight.

As we took her home, my son put his hand on his companion’s back as if to protect her as he walked her to the door. He gave her a hug. Short, sweet, nothing elaborate.

The whirlwind night had started with a discussion of homework and ended with this. As my son and I unlocked the front door at home, he looked up at me beneath the floppy coat hood and orange stocking cap and said, “I hugged her, Mom.”

“I know, honey.” I drew him to me and felt the warmest I ever had in the February wind and rain.

“C’mon, Mom,” he said inside, leaving a trail of winter clothing behind him. “Let's sort through the Valentine’s candy!”

This Valentine’s Day would be the biggest haul both of us would ever make. Our hearts were full.

No comments: