Sunday, February 22, 2009

Happy birthday George #1

During research, I’ve been frustrated and fascinated by the history of women in America. I better understand what my poor foremothers had to endure.

And if I had the chance, I’d have a talk with the father of our country, George Washington, about it.

When he arrives, I’m sure he’ll ask, “So what has happened to the United States since I died in 1799?”

“Have a seat and let me catch you up on all the news. Want a Pepsi? Oh, I’m sorry, tea was about your speed. You know, George, you did a lot of great things for our country, but you made one big mistake.”

“What was that?”

“You should have had Abigail Adams as your vice president.”

“A woman?”

“Yes, a woman, and a darn smart one, too. During the birth of our nation, she warned her husband John to quote ‘not put such unlimited power into the hands of the husbands’ unquote. But did he listen? No. And we had to wait almost 150 years for the right to vote.”

“Women vote? But how is that possible, that isn’t a woman’s place.”

“Well, it is now. In your time, it was assumed by most people that women were naturally subordinate to men in intellect as well as bodily strength. But old Abigail had the right idea when she said women have different capabilities and spheres, but they’re not inferior to men.”

“What an outrageous thought!”

To be continued …

No comments: