Friday, February 13, 2009

Romance isn't dead #2

Memories of romance 10 years ago …

One night, my hubby and I found ourselves driving around trying to decide where to go to dinner. I wasn’t all that hungry and he couldn’t decide what he wanted either. Cruising in my purple pickup truck, we watched the fall darkness descend as we journeyed the countryside.

Though not frustrated, I gave up on his ability to make decisions this late on a Friday night. I pulled into a small grocery store halfway in the middle of nowhere. My plan was simple. We’d get something from the deli and take it home.

As we walked to the front door in the warm night air, our hands slipped together as we cruised the produce aisle. We checked out the soda flavors cooling in the refrigerator case. We sniffed the lingering scents of the morning bakery rush. And we stopped at the freezer section. Wow. Things had changed a lot since the days of root beer and fries.

With our arms full, we checked out and got back into the truck. I started unwrapping everything and he asked what I was doing.

Something we hadn’t done in a long time.

Under the parking lot light, we made sandwiches and listened to oldies that were oldies when we young. We laughed and gave up trying to snuggle. Bucket seats just aren’t conducive to that sort of behavior. But we talked about what was and what was to be.

This moment assured me that I had made the right decision 24 years ago when I agreed to go out on a date with that senior with the mesmerizing eyes and muscular forearms. I was positive I had made the right decision to meet him at the altar more than 19 years ago. I was positive I had made the right decision to stop at the deli.

Laughing like the 16 and 17 year olds we were once in body and continue to be at heart, we knew the romance had never really died. It may have taken naps through the years, but those only served to refresh us for a night like this.

A night when we forgot the world around us, the responsibilities awaiting us, the 16-year-old son who had better not be having the fun we were having.

Yes, we gave into our passions.

We whipped out a pair of plastic spoons and shared a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. Low fat, of course. Who says romance is dead?

No comments: