Saturday, February 21, 2009

I saved lives

This coming July marks my husband's and my 30th wedding anniversary and 35 years since we first met. I'm probably thinking summer because I'm tired of the cold. And I'll complain in July because I'll be too dang hot.

Somehow we've survived and actually like each other in addition to that love thing. We've never seriously considered divorce … and besides, I would have misplaced that documentation long ago in my obsessive over-accumulation of paperwork. That's my weakness. Had to have at least one vice since I don't smoke or drink alcohol or coffee. No wonder I burned out in the newspaper field years ago.

Despite the clutter, I have crafted my own little working world within our simple home the past 17 years. Despite the piles of paper it takes for all my books, the two cats running amok, my scatterbrained approach to organization, a kitchen that's been in a state of remodeling for about four years, my odd hours and sooooooo much more, my husband says I give him stability.

Stability. Imagine that. I'm flattered.

He explained that he would have become a mercenary if he hadn’t met and married me.

So, you nasty people out in the world had better thank me. I saved your lives!

No comments: