Monday, May 11, 2009

Monica's book tour #8 part 4

Finally, here are the rest of my adventures last Wednesday … after wishing a belated Happy Mother's Day to my family and friends who have earned that well-deserved holiday …

My fond and comforting memories of Myrtle Beach center around four days in November 2006 when I met someone there, the sister of a friend. Susie and I laughed and cried and consoled each other on a journey through grief, the loss of my mom-in-law more than six years earlier and the loss of her boyfriend barely six weeks before that weekend.

For the "rest of the story," you'll have to read my new book, "Meet Me in Myrtle," which I'll release mid-summer …

What I can say is that my husband Roger wanted to visit the place where I had experienced a number of epiphanies. He yearned to have breakfast at the little diner where Susie and I had hung out every morning to engage in frivolous and frank conversations. He had to see the stretch of beach where Susie and I walked and talked and discovered the incredible answers to some daunting mysteries of life …

And I showed him all that and more Wednesday evening and Thursday morning as we created our own special memories in Myrtle. We sat outside under the full moon that night … walked along the beach the next morning at sunrise … had a great breakfast at the popular little diner … and then …

Quickly left town to avoid the thunderstorms heading our way! But it was fun while it lasted!

Thursday was a travel day down the east coast of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. I told Roger of my memories of my dad and me driving to Jekyll Island for spring break when I was in high school and how beautiful it had been. So Roger and I drove onto the island and just kept driving around because the bugs were so bad that we didn't dare exit the car. I got out only once to shoot some photos and quickly abandoned that venture because shooing them interfered with shooting photos …

Okay, Jekyll Island folks, I'll be back during the bug-free season …

After that, I stayed at the wheel until nearly midnight when we reached Orlando and stayed at a hotel across from Disneyland or is it Disney World … Heck, I don't know. It's all Goofy to me …

No comments: