Friday, May 8, 2009

Monica's book tour #8 part 2

To quote the wonderful Paul Harvey, here's the "rest of the story" from Wednesday's #8 …

Roger and I wandered our way through one Georgia town, following our detailed directions to the community center where I was scheduled to talk at 11 a.m. about coping with Alzheimer's, which coincides with my book. I found this organization during my Internet search a month ago when looking for places to reach new audiences and hopefully help some families as they deal with the daily challenges of Alzheimer's and dementia. At the same time, I eagerly awaited the opportunity to learn more from the individuals in attendance.

Now, I mentioned the other day's blog that I had contacted the center again, and my contact apologized for forgetting that I'd be there. We laughed about it, and I told Roger later that I just might be talking to myself on Wednesday. And that was okay and good practice, if nothing else.

As Roger parked the car and joined me on the walk inside, I knew this community center would be considered on the “wrong side of the tracks” by some people, but it’s a lifesaver for others. As I turned the worn doorknob and opened the creaky screen and interior doors, I first saw a group of elderly men settling in for a long stretch of card playing.

I was reassured that I was in a place where everybody truly knew each other’s names. This was a home that fed souls hungry for human connections. These gentlemen all knew each other, which provides a huge source of companionship, friendship and social interaction that is so desperately needed.

I walked to the office closest to this main meeting room where I introduced myself to Sherrie and explained that I was a half-hour early but not to worry because I could keep myself entertained.

Well, 11 a.m. came and went and no one came in to hear my presentation, and that was okay because Sherrie shared her life experiences with me, and that was a far more precious experience. A staff member for 19 years, Sherrie told me of her mother who had dementia and how her mom wanted to live with her only daughter, but the place where she was living was the best place with caring people who provided more companionship than Sherrie could give her at home.

Her mom had died on Mother’s Day 2005 and this was the week of the fifth anniversary of her passing. She talked of how her family lifted her along with her strong faith in God and a reassurance that her mother, along with her father who has passed away a few years earlier, are in a good place with the Lord.

I could not help but be uplifted by hearing stories of the bonds Sherrie has made through the years at this center. She pulled out a file of old printed memorial service programs and shared with me a special memory she had of each and how the sweet and funny memories they had so generously given her. She said this is her ministry.

I wish we all could find our ministry the way Sherrie has found hers, and I told her I had found mine, writing these books and finding places like hers. She smiled.

And what a loving woman she was to give me a bear hug when I left. I guess there’s a reason why no one else was there to hear me talk, because there was someone there for me to listen to.

No comments: