Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Monica's book tour #6

Monday was not an ordinary Monday.

Roger and I hit the road again, heading back to Atlanta after the weekend in Macon, but not before we stopped at the headquarters of Pilot International, the service organization we both love and that offers the volunteer opportunities we enjoy doing together.

It was a WOW moment as we drove up the quiet street to the new structure about which we had read and heard so much and have supported financially. Photos don't do it justice because it ignites such feelings of pride and awe. We saw staff members we have come to love and appreciate, folks who give 1,000 percent to Pilot. We saw the historic artifacts about which we had read or only seen in photos. To touch our organization in this way made us more determined supporters.

And the Heritage Garden … awesome, beautiful and breathtaking. All the inscribed bricks and benches with familiar names of even more people I have come to love, admire and respect.

You want to know why I love Pilot so much? Aside from being the "thing" Roger and I do together, Pilot introduced me to what has become part of my life's passion, assisting individuals and families coping with brain-related disorders, injuries and illnesses. Without Pilot, I likely wouldn't have connected with the Alzheimer's Association and the growing list of groups and individuals I'm encountering every day.

I love Pilot!

Monday, I also connected via phone and e-mail with some representatives of organizations that assist stroke survivors and/or persons with brain injuries here in Georgia. Hopefully I'll be able to meet with all them on my way back through after I finish in Florida. Next week will definitely be a rush!

And if you're ever in Norcross, GA, be sure and stop at the Georgia Diner for some of the best homecooked food you've ever had and the friendliest and funniest people you could ever hope to meet. Yum …

No comments: