Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Monica's book tour #7

As Roger and I worked our way across Georgia, I met some really incredible people Tuesday …

Stopping at an Alzheimer's Association office, I talked to just a few of the dedicated individuals who work so hard to help families learn as much as they can about this horrible disease. We talked about the current economy and how it's making it even tougher for some families in their caregiving roles. I explained that families don't need statistics to tell them how challenging being a caregiver is, because they already know that. They need words of support and practical suggestions and solutions to get through the day or hour. This is what I've committed myself to.

Earlier, after Roger told the hotel clerk about what I do and my book, this gentleman said he had lost a relative to Alzheimer's and how horrible it had been, and how this disease makes no sense. He was right. Alzheimer's and dementia do not make sense and honor no boundaries. From individuals who have little schooling to those who are gifted and highly educated, Alzheimer's preys on everyone. From the poor to the rich, Alzheimer's doesn't care as it plows into our lives …

On this journey, I'm also learning and making as many connections as I can for my upcoming books on stroke, brain injuries, and brain tumors-brain cancer. I was very fortunate to be given a personal tour of one of the premiere medical and rehab centers in the country for the treatment of brain and spinal injuries.

Amazing. Simply amazing and inspiring and thought-provoking … Truly hard to describe but you know I'm going to try :-)

This facility has an ABI (acquired brain injury) unit, which treats individuals who have brain injuries that result from external trauma to the head, strokes (which are also considered a brain injury) and other conditions, including diseases, that injure the brain in one way or another.

I saw rooms buzzing with therapists interacting with persons with brain and spinal injuries. I witnessed a young man on the amazing machine that enables his body to walk, with the assistance of a team of therapists, a device I had seen demonstrated on TV by the late Christopher Reeve during his unwavering and determined fight to conquer his spinal injury. Chris may have not reached his goal, but he inspired the science and medical community to dig deeper, harder and faster to find ways to help others.

Amazing. Yep, that word still echoes within me. After talking with personnel and seeing everyone in action, I'm more determined than ever to complete these books and reach out to families who need that boost of support.

Looking forward to today and tomorrow. So much more to see and hear and absorb. Good thing I wore my track shoes …

No comments: