Monday, March 2, 2009

"Women" #2

Continued from yesterday …

“Number five," I told my son a decade ago, "take her word for it when she screams, ‘I’m not in a bad mood!’ ”

“Oh, like you told Dad last night?”

“Yeah, you’re right. And number six, learn how to nod and smile with sincerity and know when to give up.”

My son shook his head and chuckled, “Are you for real?”

“Honey, how do you think your father and I have survived 23 years together, more than 18 of those married? It took some time, but he learned all of the above … most of it during on-the-job training. Someday your wife will thank me for teaching you all this now.”

At that moment I heard the wonderous blend of the laughter of a boy and a man. “Mom, how did you and Dad fall in love?”

“It’s your father’s fault. He fell in love with me at first sight. Even ran home and told your grandma he had met the girl he was going to marry.”

I smiled at the memory of 23 years earlier and then panicked.

Egad, I was only 16, only 16, but my future hubby loved me so. My apologizes to Dr. Hook who made that song famous when I was only 16.

“Uh, honey,” I said, “stay away from women until you’re 25 or so. I know them too well. I was one of them …”

Brought back to 2009, I look at the photo of my 26-year-old, scruffy-bearded offspring. Hey, kid, remember that I warned you!

No comments: