Friday, March 20, 2009

Let's Laugh Day

Let's Laugh Day was actually yesterday but I guess I wasn't laughing enough to write about it before it arrived. Does that make sense …

ANYWAY, I think I laughed last week more than I have in a long time … all while I was down for the longest time with a blasted cold or whatever. I really think I had simply wore myself out from juggling too many books in my brain, and life seemed to screech to a halt. I couldn't focus on my computer screen because my vision was going wacko, and a couple days of vertigo every time I blew my nose was enough to send me spinning to the floor the first time and to gladly retire to bed after that.

And where does laughter come into this story? While wrapped up in bed with my electric blanket and two cats, I treated myself to some of my favorite comedies, both big and small screen features on my portable DVD player. And I laughed aloud for hours and forgot the rest of the world.

I laughed.
I giggled.
I chuckled.
I snickered.
I cackled.
I hooted.

I had not treated myself to that simple pleasure in days, no, weeks, maybe months … no, actually years.

I was way, way, way overdue for some mental health days. I'm not sure how much it cured the cold in my head, but it certainly cleansed my mind. I actually felt excited about tackling some writing projects again. And I forgave myself for falling behind on some stuff.

The world will not end and no one will die if I'm not perfect.

Now, THAT is definitely news worth celebrating … with a couple episodes of "I Love Lucy."

So, let's laugh today, tomorrow and the day after that …

No comments: