Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Alzheimer's and the value of conversation #1

For many years, I was so shy that it was extremely painful for me to initiate a conversation. Speak in front of a group? Never!

At least until 1999 when I was asked to give a presentation about my second local history book. I momentarily conquered the fear by giving that talk … in the dark with a slide show. I survived and now I'm sure I talk too much. I guess I have a lot of catching up to do.

After working on this book about coping with the everyday challenges of Alzheimer's, dementia and memory loss, I began to appreciate more the value of conversation and how vital it is to connecting us as human beings.

A lot of people forget that individuals with these memory diseases are still ordinary folks in nearly every way. They still have physical, emotional, spiritual and social needs, though those may change during the course of the disease. They can still laugh and cry, and want to love and be loved.

No comments: