Monday, April 20, 2009

No better way to spend time #2

Watching the world go by from the front porch steps continued …

All this while my friend and I talked about what was beautiful and annoying in life … ridiculously funny and enormously heartbreaking … full of innocence and tainted with reality … fair and not fair.

My friend marveled at how someone the other day recognized her after a number of years and what a joy it was to revisit that ordinary time and place again … and how that person still appreciated her. She couldn't believe it!

I wanted to say, "Well, duh! You are quite memorable for all the right reasons!"

But this was a time to listen … to this symphony of a single human voice, the occasional chirp of a bird, the rustle of plants giving birth again, the gentle panting of a content dog, the crescendo of a bicycle hum before it fades in the distance … the breeze, the air that feeds our lungs and cleanses our minds.

Yes, I should have been other places doing other things during these waning hours of a Friday afternoon, but there was no better place to revitalize my soul than with a friend on the front porch in an older neighborhood full of character and something new to see every moment.

Next time, though, I'm bringing a pillow for those concrete steps. My mind can linger forever, but my tush can't.

No comments: