Sunday, April 19, 2009

No better way to spend time #1

I did something Friday that I haven't done in a long time: sit on the front steps with a friend and talk and watch the world walk or drive by.

And there was no better way to spend an afternoon.

The long-anticipated spring warmth promised and delivered comfort whether you chose the sun or shade. Luckily the porch steps were in the shade when my friend invited me to sit beside her. I don't do well in the direct sun, even with my big old shades that completely cover my regular glasses.

It had been months since I had sat outside, period, but it was as if I was reintroduced to Mother Nature and mankind all in one sitting as I observed the budding trees, the growing grass and the seemingly overnight explosion of flora.

It been even longer since I had watched children get off the school bus at the corner and walk home, alone or in clusters. Listening to their chatter and laughter reminded me of 17 years ago when my son was in fourth grade and was so excited that he got to ride the bus to and from school for the first time. Why? Because his mom had lost her job in January 1992 and could finally stay home to send him off to school and greet him after the final bell.

And all this while my friend and I talked …

More tomorrow.

No comments: