Thursday, April 9, 2009

Name Yourself Day

Well, according to a calendar of odd days, this is Name Yourself Day.

What name would you give yourself? Would you come up with something totally wild that would have totally horrified your parents? Or would you have been the envy of all your peers?

Hmm, what name would I have chosen if I had had a say more than 50 years ago … I don't think it would have been an ordinary name, nor one too fancy. My first name is OK. I'm used to now. But I never liked my middle name and promptly dropped it when I got married, choosing instead to make my maiden name my legal middle name. It wasn't a bad name, and I know several people for whom that name fits nicely, but I never could stomach it.

Actually I think I'll stick with Monica Vest Wheeler. I did get a lot of mileage out of Monica during the Clinton years. During the height of the scandal, after returning from a vacation in Washington, D.C., I truthfully told a group that I had seen President Bill Clinton drive by in a motorcade, but that's as far as it went.

And to milk the situation further, I announced that my dad's name is Bill, which it is, and my mom's name is Paula, which is it. (Remember Paula Jones, another one of Clinton's friends …) It was a great icebreaker for a couple of years, and I vowed I'd never be caught dead in a blue dress …

As for my name, I think I'll stick with what I've grown accustomed to. Besides, if I ask my web gal to change anything else on my website this week, she might call me everything but Monica …

No comments: