Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A mission of turning empathy into action

I've had a number of people ask the origins of my business name, "Turning Empathy into Action."

About a half-dozen years ago, I was searching for something a little more interesting than the "Write Away" I'd had since starting my freelance writing business 21 years ago this month. I examined what I was doing at the time and the bigger question of "why?"

As a writer all my life, I realized that I was delving deeper into how people interact with other, especially during challenging or traumatic times. I was captivated by the emotions and words individuals share and don't express when those human connections are needed the most. I also found myself becoming more interested in educating the public on how they can better assist individuals and families in crisis situations.

Two words, "empathy" and "action," kept repeating like a scratched record in my brain, and what emerged was a clearer definition of my life mission: how to turn empathy into action. And voila! A title was born!

I turn empathy into action by interacting with individuals and families who have endured life-threatening and life-changing experiences, especially related to the brain. They teach me much about their everyday challenges, and I do my best to educate other families, the public, and even professionals on how they can better understand and meet the unique needs of those facing brain-related injuries, illnesses and diseases, many of which can take a devastating toll.

The brain became my focus because it's the least understood and the most important organ in the body. I'm not a medical professional: I'm an expert observer of human needs and interactions. Along the way, I've discovered that the emotional challenges and pain can often be as or more damaging and paralyzing than the physical outcomes. And it's often the most overlooked aspect.

I'm determined to turn that sad fact around. So, you can see that's a BIG life mission, and I embrace it more every day.

Go out and turn some of your empathy into powerful action. It's not hard to change a few lives. It's the best feeling in the world. I guarantee it!

No comments: