Sunday, January 13, 2013

Caregivers, you are NOT alone

Hey, caregivers, you are NOT alone!

I recently met a woman whose husband has been diagnosed with dementia. She said he would forget something after a few minutes.

I said, "Yes, that often happens."

"Really? Nobody told me."

She said he misplaces things all over the house.

I nodded. "Yes, that happens all the time."

"Really? I had no idea."

She said he often refuses to shower or change clothes.

I explained that they may think they've already just showered no matter how much you deny it. Plus, many folks with dementia or Alzheimer's often forgot personal hygiene, because that part of the brain that reminded them of daily habits is no longer functioning. It's often part of the disease.

"Really? I thought I was the only one dealing with this."

The woman looked at me and tears filled her eyes.

Gently rubbing her back, I reassured her that she was not alone, that millions of other families face this and MANY other challenges every day. She smiled, relieved to know she wasn't completely adrift on an isolated planet.

And I was reassured that my life's mission to educate families is NOT in jeopardy. No matter whether it's Alzheimer's, stroke, brain injury or other catastrophic injury, illness or disease, many families are still not getting the information from the medical community that they need to survive the everyday emotional and physical challenges.

So, my job is secure to keep passing along the news that caregivers are not alone in their worries, frustrations and seemingly endless questions. It's okay to vent, inquire and even challenge the rules. That saves more lives than you can ever imagine …






No comments: