Monday, July 6, 2009

My 30-year-old datebook

I've been consolidating a lot of paperwork, saving some of it digitally and recycling the paper. Among my boxes of goodies are most of the desk calendars I've filled since 1979, the year I got married. The pack rat in me just can't part with them completely, so I scanned them to revisit.

Yes, 1979 seems a long time ago. My entries start shortly after I graduated from college in May and returned home to Anderson, Indiana, to work and plan and pack until Roger and I got married July 21. His future employer, Caterpillar Tractor Co., back then, now Caterpillar Inc., helped us select that date because he started work in June as soon as he graduated, and we had to fit the wedding in during the company's traditional two-week July vacation. So, Saturday, the 21st, it was.

I worked at the daily newspaper at home while Roger started work and set up housekeeping in Peoria. I was watching every penny carefully as I found my detailed spending records jotted on the calendar pages. On June 1, I had two Cokes at 30 cents each, spent 88 cents on lunch and $1.35 on dinner. I really splurged the following day with 36 cents on a slush and $7 for a full tank of gas. On the 10th, I managed to get out of the grocery store and spend only $2.40.

On June 16, I boldly penned, "5 weeks!" until the big day. And then there's the phone number for some guy named Kevin … hmm …

I worked on a variety of stories for the newspaper that month, including a series on senior citizens with topics such as a senior center, an older adult conference and a session on death and dying. Ah, but there was also a lighthearted piece on musical gourds. Bigger hmm …

I drove to Peoria for a job interview on June 27 and got to see how Roger had decorated our new home. BIGGER hmm … And suddenly it was three weeks until this two-bedroom paradise was to be my address!

On July 1, I called hotels in Indianapolis to find a place for us to honeymoon for a few days. The Marriott was $49 for the first night, $25 the second night, and it included a champagne breakfast! Wow! Fancy stuff! Book it, Danno!

My last day of work was July 12, and I was busily filling in the back of the calendar that had space for budgeting and expenses. I was trying to be a responsible, yet frugal, bride. Monthly rent $245, electricity $25, annual renter's insurance $50. Cable TV? Where's a slot for that? Hmm …

I crossed out church donations and substituted cable.

My final days as a single woman all summed up neatly in an old calendar. What a sentimental hoot.

Now, if I could just remember who Kevin was … hmm … hmm …

No comments: