Sunday, July 26, 2009

The games people need to play

I'm so fortunate to receive another wonderful Alzheimer's story. However, the person who had this experience is the one truly blessed as she described the peculiar behavior of her husband who has Alzheimer's …

While he was shaving today he was looking at me with a stare that I knew something was going to be said. Out came the following - "What do you think this is? Do you think it is a game, young lady? That is it, you think it is a game and it isn't a game at all!" His words surprised me and I answered with, "Oh no this isn't a game! If it were a game it would be Gin Rummy or maybe even TAG (I moved close to him and tagged him)! As I was running away from his chair I was saying: "TAG, YOU ARE IT!"

I am smiling as I am typing to you. My little joke is only mine as he doesn't get it! HA! Such a waste of humor!


No, it's not a waste of humor! It saved your day and may have given you enough adrenaline to get through several days.

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror after you've had a good laugh? My cheeks always feel smoother after a laugh attack. It's probably because those muscles got an incredible workout.

And he knew shaving wasn't a game.

And he said something that made sense … to a certain degree.

And he called you "young lady"! What a compliment when you don't feel so young inside or out.

And you transformed yourself back to the glorious silliness of childhood! Tag and gin rummy! And you made him "it!"

Who cares if he got "it"! You did and that's all that matters. It's YOUR moment to remember.

No comments: