Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stroke: Are survivors self-centered?

The first time I heard it in a stroke caregiver support group meeting, it surprised me. I leaned in closer to hear more and understand why it was a hot topic.

"All he cares about is himself."

Oh yes, it was hot enough to light a fire in this group.

While it may have seemed like an odd thing for a caregiver to say, most of her peers agreed without hesitation that their survivors have become self-centered, “Because it’s about me. I’m the one who had the stroke.”

Wow. Some tough food for thought to chew on. That statement speaks not just volumes, but libraries, about the changes a stroke can bring about.

Just remember that this isn't a blanket statement because every stroke, every person is different.

How about …

I don't think anyone will dispute this one: Survivors must focus on themselves to survive. They've got to muster every bit of energy, willpower, love and faith they have to simply live. We wouldn't expect any less of ourselves or a loved one.

And I don't think anyone will dispute this one either: Survivors may need assistance at times as they relearn certain skills, but some may also need to relearn the art of patience … or they risk burning out their caregiver or loved ones.

No wonder it's such a hot topic.

No comments: