Saturday, December 5, 2009

Alzheimer's: An “ordinary” conversation

Overheard … an “ordinary” conversation between a husband with Alzheimer’s and his wife …

Wife: “Why are you so physically fit? Where do you drag me every single day, where I don’t want to go?”

Husband: “What do we do? In the morning. Where are we?” He laughs.

Wife: “Where are we at 5 o’clock? Where did we go?”

Husband: “Yes, we did. We went someplace. Oh yeah. We went to the …” While shaking his finger trying to remember, he grins.

Wife: “The gym.”

Husband: “Yes, we go to the gym almost every day.”

Wife: “We do every day. Not almost. I hate it with a passion though I know it’s good for me.” She vigorously shakes her head. “He’s gone for years. You start slow and you work until it gets kind of boring. What’s the first thing you do? Where do you go?”

Husband: “I go take off my shoes.” He laughs again.

Wife: “Not your shoes. Your coat. What piece of equipment do you go to first?”

Husband: “Okay, piece of equipment, that’s very, very easy. It is … I don’t know, what is it?”

Wife: “You walk. It’s called a treadmill.”

Husband: “Ah yes, treadmill. That is the first thing.”

Wife: “Then where do we go?”

Husband: “After that, we go hide.”

Wife: “You do that later. Where do you go after the treadmill? You sit down.”

Husband: “I do?”

Wife: “You pedal. What’s it called?”

Husband: “I don’t know.”

Wife: “You go on a bike.”

Husband: “Stationary bike.”

Wife: “Excellent! Then where do you go and hide?”

Husband: “I go and hide inside and work with you.”

She says he goes on the toning table and sometimes falls asleep.

Wife: “Then you join me and what do we do in that room?”

Husband: “Nothing much.”

Wife: “Geez, this is not a good day.”

Husband: “I think we do well doing what we do. I’m satisfied with it.”

No comments: