Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's the Alzheimer's, stupid! #1

Let's twist the phrase that helped elect Bill Clinton … "It's the economy, stupid!" to "It's the Alzheimer's, stupid!"

Would that be a catchy enough phrase to attract and educate several generations that had better get used to that A-word and what it really means?

What angers caregivers?

Let's start with talking about the person with Alzheimer's as if they're not standing or sitting there. I know I've said this one before, but it needs constant repeating: They may not remember you or your name, but they remember the pain of being ignored or treated like a child. Acknowledge and engage them, even if they may not say much, because it's the Alzheimer's that's keeping them from finding the right, if any, words to participate in a conversation.

But they're still human and need to connect with other humans. You can be a quiet comfort by just acknowledging they're still HERE!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I so agree with you. I speak with Alzheimer's and caregiving groups all the time--and they usually separate the person with Alzheimer's and put them in a room to be "baby-sat." It's as if we can't "say it" with them in the room and address the two--caregiver and "care buddy" as I like to call them as a team.
I cared for my mom who had Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, but she was so, so much more than that. She was an ornery, funny, vivacious woman--and that's the legacy she leaves to me.

Thanks for speaking up about this.