Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Challenges I thought I'd never survive #1

Facebook has been an incredible addition to my life, both personally and professionally in the last couple of months. (And I don't do any of those goofy quizzes or games because I don't have time!) I'm "seeing" high school and college friends I haven't connected with in 30 years or more, and learning as much about myself as them at the same time.

A college classmate just sent me a message asking what I've been doing with myself since we graduated in 1979. And I got to thinking about all the challenges of the last three decades of my life … the ones I jumped into with no, some or great fear, or no, some or great enthusiasm.

It's something we all experience … or should if we're an active participant in this thing called life …

Dear Jeanne,

Well, Roger and I have stuck it out and for some crazy reason like and love each other more now than 30 years ago this July 21. Geez, that's a long time! We joke that we have the divorce papers but I've lost them in all the piles of paper I have accumulated from all my book projects. Actually, my work space resembles my old dorm room and I think you came by many a time back then and just said "tsk tsk tsk …" Well, you'd do that here :-)


My brain was mush for nine months after we got married because I couldn't find a job and had no friends here in Peoria except Roger and whoever he knew from work …

I stopped typing as I remembered those days. Back then I felt like I knew absolutely nothing about marriage and wondered if I had what it took to make it work. I had witnessed some unhappy unions and knew there were things I'd do differently in my own. And those few bride magazines I had read before the wedding had zippo tips on the realities of everyday married life …

More tomorrow …

No comments: