Thursday, January 29, 2009

All About Alzheimer's 4

More about my Wii adventure at the Alzheimer's Association Central Illinois Chapter …

After I had gone through the group a second round, it was Lucky Joe's turn again to bowl. He got up a little easier this time as we prepared to bowl the 10th frame. I told him we had a chance to get that extra throw if we knocked 'em all down. Again, our right hands worked together to throw that ball.

And yes, we got the spare that time and everybody cheered! I was patting him on the back and laughing. Grinning, his eyes got real big when I told him we had one more throw. And we went through the steps again to knock about half of them down. I thanked and congratulated him, saying I knew I had a champ.

So, what is the summary of this, what I consider a beyond-the-Ph.D. experience in interacting with folks with Alzheimer's?

Just be with them, and they'll be with you in their own precious way.

No comments: