Wednesday, January 28, 2009

All About Alzheimer's 3

More on my big Wii experience at the Alzheimer's Association …

Some clients were timid. A couple felt right at home with a little coaching to stir their memories. One showed off her bent fingers from too many years of throwing those big, heavy balls. I believed her. The most beautiful accomplishment they shared was a smile when they heard the crashing of the pins and the applause and cheers of their teammates. The laughter was genuine and deep.

And I absorbed the precious physical connection and emotional bond I had with each to make sure they could play an old game in a new way, and that I could learn a few new tricks, too.

And finally here was my buddy Joe. Let me tell you about this man we affectionally call Lucky Joe. Why is he Lucky? I think that designation came at the support group meeting when his wife Molly told of how she discovered him just in time outside before he completely disassembed the water faucet. Joe may have not thought he was lucky at that moment, but lucky for him, Molly caught him. Actually I think Joe and Molly are just darn lucky to have each other. I know I consider myself blessed every time I see them.

ANYWAY, Joe really didn't want to participate in our little game, though he used to bowl like a pro years ago. In fact, that was one of his earliest dates with Molly, bowling. (She had to have a few lessons ahead of time because it was all new to her, but she liked this guy well enough to learn. Obviously, it paid off.)

It took me a long time to coax him up the first time, but I kept eye contact because I saw the fear and uncertainty in his eyes and "heard" his silence. I acknowledged his fear without words and waited for a "window" of comfort, just something I knew would be there. Then I took his hand and got him to stand up, and he cracked a joke. I knew we were going to be OK.

I told him what WE were going to do together and literally held his hand as he watched everything I did in molding his fingers around the control and how I wrapped mine around his. We did practice swings together as I described how we were going to let go of the trigger. Yes, it took a while, but that was fine with me and everybody else. He and I swung together easier as his arm relaxed a little more each time, that sense of trust coming through. We bowled one frame, two shots, and I think the score was 6 or 7 total, which was pretty good. He got the biggest grin and laughed.

More tomorrow …

No comments: