Friday, October 5, 2018

When we rewrite our life's missions




By Monica Vest Wheeler

I know there's "Throwback Thursday," but I needed a little "Feel Good Friday," and found it when I came across this image as I try to organize my digital life …

Ten years ago this month, in 2008, I met this amazing stroke survivor, Pat Dach, and her supportive caregiving sisters, Holly Stukenberg and Faith Long, at Retreat & Refresh Stroke Camp™ (strokecamp.org) at Living Springs camp in Lewistown, IL. It was my first year and fourth weekend of being part of the Stroke Camp experience.

I captured Pat as she worked every ounce of energy she had to climb that wall. An amazing moment to say the least … and in that vision, I knew that I HAD to continue to be part of this life-changing project for stroke survivors and caregivers … hoping that founder Marylee Herrick Nunley would "allow" me to return the following year … I wasn't waiting for an invitation … :-)

And to watch fellow survivor David Keyes (Shirley Phelps Keyes) congratulate her was awe-inspiring and tear-provoking. If I could only imagine then how I would still "live" for these moments 100 camps later …

I had no intention of going to more than one Stroke Camp beyond my first in June 2008 … just interview survivors and caregivers and go on my merry little book-writing way.

I've "failed" my original mission in some ways — writing a bunch of books — but discovered a far greater one when I picked up my camera at my first camp and haven't set it down since. I came up "short" in some respects, but I'm taller than that climbing wall when it comes to the conversations that matter in life … and the abundance of hugs and love that came with the package.

I've experienced a little bit of everything at Stroke Camp, but I never attempted the rock wall. My hands and arms have never had the strength. How ironic that it's my hands and arms that carry and position my camera to capture the big and little moments of life for others … And give me the energy and courage to keep wanting more …
 
To Pat Dach and all those other survivors and caregivers … you keep ME going …


No comments: