Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pepaw was a firecracker for sure!

Hmm … how do I describe the Fourth of July with Pepaw, my dad-in-law, who has Alzheimer's?

He was a real firecracker, but my husband Roger and I were the ones who wanted to explode before the fireworks ever hit the sky.

Nope, surprisingly Pepaw didn't ask about his cigarettes when we arrived to take him fishing. He immediately started with:

• "I've been waiting for you for three days …"

• "I want the keys to my truck. I want my truck now …"

• "The government is stealing my money …" (Well, I'll go along with that one.)

• "They don't know how to cook here …"

• "I want cookies …"

I love THE Cookie Monster, but I wasn't too crazy about THIS cookie monster on Sunday.

By the time we got Pepaw to the fishing spot, he had complained about all those topics and others a couple more times. As we unloaded the van for the adventure, Roger whispered to me, "Is there anything he hasn't complained about?" I reassured him, "Nope."

The boys spent five hours in the pursuit of fish, while I worked on my books. It was overall pretty relaxing. I asked Pepaw if he wanted something to eat.

"Cookies," he said.

"Nope. No cookies today. Strawberries?"

"I'd rather have a cigarette."

"Oops, forgot them. Strawberries?"

The boys each caught two fish, which we gave to a fisherwoman who was more than eager to take them home to her frying pan. I shed no tears over losing that opportunity.

As we packed up, Pepaw insisted on getting cookies at the store. So, we obliged to let him pick out some as he explained the cookies were healthier than the food he was being served at his residence. I made the mistake of contradicting him.

"You can have some cookies after you eat dinner."

"No, don't want any dinner. Cookies are fine."

"OK, how about we pick up a sandwich for you on the way back?"

"Nope, cookies are fine."

This went on for several moments, and I realized I was getting yanked further into a level of frustration that was making me hotter than the fish in that woman's frying pan. I looked him in the eye and grabbed one of the wild excuses rapidly filling my head.

"Do you realize that Roger and I could be thrown in jail if you're not eating properly!"

"I'm fine."

As Pepaw searched for the cheapest cookies in the aisle, I turned to Roger and said, "I'm done."

In that moment, my husband became the wisest man in the world. He knew that when I, who has maintained the most patience since bringing his dad to town, had lost it, it was time to call it a day. He quietly said he'd take care of his dad, and he did.

On my own, I over-analyzed my reaction to this whole thing. I was tired. I was sweaty. I had spent entirely too much quality time with my husband and father-in-law. I was arguing with a disease that never loses.

When we met out at the van, I had cooled off. Then Roger took me aside and said:

"Guess what he just told me!" Uh oh, Pepaw had figured out how to get into the locked drawer where his cigarettes were hidden …

Hmm, cookies were sounding awfully good for dinner.

No comments: