Saturday, April 26, 2008

I did it my way

I do apologize for taking tooooo long of a break since my last post. However, I had some pressing challenges, of which the primary one was completing my newest book called "Help ME Cope & Survive! Alzheimer's, Dementia & Memory Loss: Straight Talk for Families and Caregivers."

It was just like giving birth for the 12th time … though my son is the only one of the dozen that talks back to me.

I am excited beyond words about this book, this baby, this heartfelt creation of mine. Holding it in my hands as it came off the press binder, still warm from its journey along the conveyer belt, just like the birth canal, was only a lot less messy.

I love this book. I love everything about it. The laughter, the tears, the embraces, the hellos, the farewells, the confidence all these individuals had in me to tell their story with accuracy and empathy. Perhaps what I safeguard most of all is the renewed confidence in myself that I could do this my way … as I heard Elvis and Frank Sinatra singing it in the background the whole time.

This week, I had a "facts of life" talk with several individuals I love. I made it clear that I'm on near-tunnel vision as I was adament about helping pockets of pain in this universe, whether they're ready to be helped or not. In recent months, I've invested in myself for the first time in my life. It ain't cheap, but life's too short to do otherwise.

Everything has been going soooooo well for me, perhaps too well, as I encountered a huge pothole in my everyday work this last week. Maybe it was time for a bump to make sure I'm still on course. My husband and I had technical difficulties in presenting a video I had created. Nothing went right with the sound. Though I was mortified in the dimmed lights until it started working properly, I reminded myself that shit happens. I just didn't believe it until about an hour later while sitting at my desk, I willed myself to agreed that you-know-what happens, so keep moving on because I refuse to be defined by one mishap.

And I have sooooooo much more to share!!

That's how I DId It My Way 101

No comments: